sister frances rafferty obituary

He was a blue-collar Irish Catholic who had imaginative ideas of God and AIDS. Sister Francis was my favorite professor at the College. In lieu of flowers, contributions are encouraged to the Sisters of Charity Development Fund, P.O. She appeared in minor and secondary roles, and although she had a part in the 1944 film Dragon Seed with Katharine Hepburn and Walter Huston, her significant parts were limited almost exclusively to "B" movies. In his memoir “And Then I Danced,” PGN publisher Mark Segal recounts: “Fran Rafferty was a City Councilman with strong religious beliefs. I adored him and his slightly sarcastic humor, which he dealt out when warranted. Frances was as resourceful as she was witty. Share Francis's life story with friends and family. With the death of Harry Morgan in 2011, none of the December Bride cast is still living. Fran and I shared many an Irish wedding, anniversary, dance, and St. Patrick's Day celebration over the years, he on the pipes, I on the bandstand. R.I.P. Rafferty had long been a popular if controversial figure in the volatile world of city politics. I’ve wondered if his attitudes and feelings had changed over the years, because I know that is what has happened with so many other people.”. Published in Daily Record from May 6 to May 7, 2020. She was a dynamic teacher-full of energy, life, humor. Even with all those issues, she was never negative, nor did she feel sorry for herself. He suggests that Rafferty softened over the years. May the Lord be with all of them. From the entire Durkin family, all of our hearts go out to our dear friends, Mrs. Raftery, Brian, Kevin and their extended family in this difficult time. When she needed help taking out the trash, she would order Patriot Pizza, and tip the delivery kid to take out her trash. Rafferty holds a special place in the annals of Philadelphia LGBT history, but unlike that of other former councilmembers like John C. Anderson, Bill Green, Michael Nutter and now-Mayor Jim Kenney, Rafferty was never an ally. My deepest condolences. We will always remember her with a smile. What a wonderful man and a great piper! Robert Hutton plays a war vet with amnesia who is taken in by widow Frances Rafferty and her son on Christmas Eve. She was always a Chatty Cathy and loved by all who knew her. Heaven will be a livelier place with you and your pipes. For unlimited access to the most important news from your local community, please subscribe or activate your digital account today. After her retirement from acting in 1965, she made a final appearance in a 1977 episode of Karl Malden's ABC crime drama, The Streets of San Francisco. He was 80. Frances Rafferty died in 2004 in Paso Robles, California, just three months after the passing of her December Bride costar Dean Miller. She served as chair of the Education Department before her appointment to the president's office. Frances Anne Rafferty was born in Sioux City, Iowa, the daughter of Maxwell Lewis Rafferty, Sr. (1886-1967), and the former DeEtta Frances Cox Rafferty (c. 1892-1972). Moran said that what the LGBT community wanted was to get Rafferty and his homophobia out of any role where he could harm gay people.

She was the younger sister of California conservative educator and Republican politician Max Rafferty, whose wife … [3] An Associated Press news story dated February 18, 1947, reported, "Movie Actress Frances Rafferty obtained a divorce today from John E. Horton, former army major. Mr. Raftery was a wonderful person. Sister … Surviving besides her husband are a daughter, Mrs. John Elser of King Ferry; four sons. Her final assignment before retirement was that of the Director of Procurement at Ft. Devon’s Army Base in Ayer, Massachusetts.

Local activists assert the campaign was the first of its kind to target a homophobic politician. Frances loved New England and especially MA, as she continued to make it her adopted home even after retiring from Federal Service. Sister … This led to a televised debate on the KYW TV talk show hosted by Jerry Penacoli, ‘People Are Talking.’ Just before we went on the air, I looked over at [Rafferty] and saw what looked like malice in his eyes. Messages run for up to one year and you can stop at any time.

Nor was it dismissed. https://www.loganfuneralhomes.com/obituary/Frances-Rafferty ")[5] In 1948, she married Thomas R. Baker, and together they had two children. Mr.Raftery was one of my favorite Teachers at RLC. At a young age she studied dancing, and her physical attributes and dancing skills led to work in the film industry. Moran said the POPEC fight was groundbreaking and cited how the campaign to unseat Rafferty crossed over lines between gay and straight to address what many had begun to see as a problem not just for the gay community, but for the City of Philadelphia. The Philadelphia Gay News is the area’s largest and oldest publication targeting the LGBTQ+ community. Please allow 24 hours for your entry to be reviewed for appropriate content. Fran was the nicest man I have ever known, he was polite would go out of the way for you and always told me a joke every time I saw him haven't seen Fran in a while I never thought i would be reading his obituary R.I.P. Signed by MGM Studios, Frances made her film debut in 1942. Sister Rita Austin and all the other nuns from Saints are all waiting at the pearly gates to remind you of the shenanigans you and your classmates pulled on them. Sr. Francis was my professor at CSE when I was a student there graduating in 1980 with a BA in elementary/special Ed. TV episode "Christmas is Magic". Share to let others add their own memories and condolences. Frannie, it was a pleasure to know you and enjoy the four years we were students at Saints. He was so comforting to me and Ray. Frances was always a kind, gentle and compassionate soul. He always made me feel so important. Email: wwesthoven@dailyrecord.com Twitter: @wwesthoven. She was born and raised in East Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, where she attended St. Cyril’s Elementary School, and then onto the Academy of Notre Dame. All rights reserved. Sister of the late John E. Rafferty. That was important groundwork with lasting impact.”. Subscribe to our newsletter for updates from PGN, delivered weekly. Frances M. Raffertyof Townsend, MA Frances M. Rafferty of Townsend, MA formerly of East Lansdowne, PA passed away on February 26, 2020 at the age of 97. We go all the way back to our college days at JCSC. I just heard from my brother, Mike, of Fran's passing. He will always be remembered as a good friend, loving husband, father, and grandfather always with a smile. Funeral Home Services for Francis are being provided by Logan Funeral Home, Inc.-Philadelphia - Philadelphia. how lucky we all are to have him in our hearts forever. Frank was a wonderful gentleman.

OBITUARY Moravia Republican Register, Thurs., Feb. 6, 1969 -- Mrs. Frances Ward Of King Ferry Dies Mrs. Frances Ward, 33, wife of Byron Ward, died Monday at her home after a long illness, A life resident of King Ferry, she was a communicant of Our Lady of the Lake Church. Our sincere sympathy and prayers are with Bridget and your entire family. My favourite day of the year was always St. Patrick's day watching Mr.Raftery and his bag pipers and dancers.. such a kind man. Visiting will be Friday, Sept. 13, from The power of the LGBT bloc and political action led by Moran, Bonds, Segal and others did not go unnoticed. Carol Couch. It was a very pleasant visit.

Please consider a donation, as requested by the family. Frances Rafferty Pictures", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Frances_Rafferty&oldid=976964039, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Schoolteacher Mildred Johnson, in 'Curly', This page was last edited on 6 September 2020, at 03:44. (Karl Sandhu) Rafferty. William Westhoven is a local reporter for DailyRecord.com. Our thoughts are with you as we remember what a terrific person Francis was and will continue to be with us in our memories. He never forgot me wherever I'd see him, whether it be at Doolan's at an Irish Wake, Asbury Park where we were there to see the 3 Brothers (Burns) doing a reunion type show. My condolences to Bridget and all the Rafterys. Street declined to comment on their earlier conflicts, and told PGN, “Councilman Rafferty was my friend. To all members of Raferty family: Rest assured that he is in the arms of our loving Lord. Through the years after graduation we kept in touch. Her brother, Bill, is a former Seton Hall University basketball coach better known as one of the leading voices in college basketball broadcasting for CBS and ESPN. A sad day to hear the passing of a wonderful caring man and educator! Plant a tree to honor the memory of your loved one. Francis Rafferty passed away in Grays Ferry, Pennsylvania. Born in Orange and raised in Kearny, Raftery entered the Sisters of Charity on Aug. 20, 1957, and was a member for 62 years. May your loving memories of him bring you comfort and peace. I have fond memories of my fellow Cecelian, Frannie Raferty. In (1953) Rafferty starred in a 24 min. Moran noted that party leaders contacted him and Segal about “appointing Rafferty to a minor state government board or commission.
She also served for seven years as coordinator of patient relations at St. Joseph’s University Medical Center in Paterson.
Among them were two guest appearances on Perry Mason. Started in 1976, PGN reaches, builds rapport with and listens to our readers and supporters — as well as our critics. I will always cherish my morning chit chats with Sr. Francis and i also enjoyed making her laugh, we shared the same kind of humor. Plant a tree to honor the memory of your loved one.

Toys (1992 123movies), Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe,