reddit spacex engineer

I think that’s a testament to how excited we can get about our projects. We have goals that are absurdly ambitious by any reasonable standard, but we’re going to make them happen. The main objective is to write very comprehensive and robust software to be able to automate finding issues with the hardware at high volume. 300. SpaceX embodies the small business mentality. Elon may be a genius and he's certainly unique in many important ways. (That being said, a vacation every now and then is still necessary to maintain sanity), New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. I've seen and helped the company grow from less than 500 people in to the powerhouse it is now. Nothing you ever do will be good enough so you have to find your own value, not depending on praise to get you through your obviously insufficient 80 hour work weeks. We also work in Mission Control to support active missions. Press J to jump to the feed. He is known for being one of the first to sequence the human genome and the first to transfect a cell with a synthetic genome. Surely, success would be associated with leaders whom people LIKE to work for?

But in so doing he doesn't change the schedule. For all open software related positions, please go to http://www.spacex.com/software.php.

get reddit premium. The reason for this is that Elon's version of reality is highly skewed. Also a boss can cut projects down and prevent people's egos from making them work on a project to long...without being an asshole. "If we could only really make hydrogen more practical, we could..." No. We catch problems with the hardware early; when it's time for integration and testing with flight software it better be a working unit. I (William Perry) served as Undersecretary of Defense for Research and Engineering in the Carter administration, and then as Secretary of Defense in the Clinton administration, and I have advised presidents all through the … The similarity is even down to the unrealistic time tables, and the disconnect between what was said to the press and what was really going on. Will also delete on comment score of -1 or less. He won't hesitate to throw out six months of work because it's not pretty enough or it's not "badass" enough. User account menu . Continuously being the underdog, fighting the ULA behemoth and the entrenched politicians that strangely want SpaceX to fail is only a small part of it. Edit 3: Yes, we are doing a ton of hiring for these software positions that we have been talking about today. It's not despite their abusive leadership style, but because of it.

We build tech stacks on C#/MVC4/EF/MSSQL via REST to Javascript/Knockout/Handlebars/LESS, C++/Embedded Linux, Python, LabVIEW… which all together enables us to build, launch, and monitor stuff that goes to space. What was the most challenging project that you had to take on and why? Cookies help us deliver our Services. The problem seems to be that the go-get-it, work 80+ hours a week attitude seems to work in the short term and brings good gains but in the longer run it only end up destroying everyone. It's not a hassle to maintain, it's our job! r/spacex: Welcome to r/SpaceX, the premier SpaceX discussion community and the largest fan-run board on the American aerospace company SpaceX. is among his most repeated lines though he stopped trying to sell that a couple years ago as people stopped believing it long ago.

Edit: Poor Dan, everyone knows he was photo-shopped. The Ground Software team is about 9 people. We are pushing high bandwidth data around a highly distributed system and implementing complex user interfaces with strict requirements to ensure operators can control and evaluate spacecraft in a timely manner. (Side note: if you want the best results on a solo project, learn to be your own TATO. I will not be surprised if a lot of the delays have happened BECAUSE of this constant over-working. We write all the code for Falcon 9, Grasshopper, and Dragon applications; and do the core platform work, also on those vehicles; we also write simulation software; test the flight code; write the communications and analysis software, deployed in our ground stations. "Just six more months and we'll go IPO!" 647 users here now. 300. I've heard that Elon killed a hydrogen fueled engine project at SpaceX in favor of the methane option, and actually let go the main proponent of hydrogen. First question: do any of you guys play Kerbal Space Program? ". For a long time I was confused how so many industry leaders could have these horrible Julius Caesar personalities that actively make working for them hard and unpleasant, and despite that are so SUCCESSFUL.
This board is not an official outlet for SpaceX information. The Enterprise Information Systems team builds the internal software systems that makes spacex run. That might be fine, if technical and engineering work were funded by the National Endowment for the Arts... but in fact it is funded to achieve defined business goals that are ultimately shaped by the very unforgiving math of supply and demand where some projects can meat the requirements of that math, and many can not, but that fact only becomes apparent after extensive analysis and work on the problem. We wear many hats, but the flagship product we develop and release is an internal web application that nearly every person in the company uses. What kind of operating systems you use in your navigation/propulsion control systems?

Engineers from each of our engineering teams are present. r/AerospaceEngineering: For anything and everything aerospace engineering. In face, it'd be safe to say that a company like that would achieve more and faster than one with challenge and derision. Your resume will definitely get read. Cookies help us deliver our Services. If given the opportunity, they will blindly continue working on a failed or no longer necessary project forever. It was a spring … Its not like his work hours isn't extreme as well. And that's where the TATO comes into the picture. They don't.

There are much better ways of handling things than having to chop down people's egos... "This is because creative, intelligent, and technical people get attached to their own work (and I am as guilty of this as anyone). ~ Aerospace Engineering Student & Programer who loves SpaceX too much. Welcome to r/SpaceX, the premier SpaceX discussion community and the largest fan-run board on the American aerospace company SpaceX. Its design was sleek, elegant, and a pleasure to use. It is amazing that he didn't get himself wrapped up in the Hyperloop concept, as if running three major companies isn't enough (two as CEO and one as chairman of the board of directors). SpaceX really is awesome.

I take a look at the clock and think “where did the time go?”. Dragon and Falcon 9 use a version of Linux. It is a great company and I do love it. Hi r/spacex!

Edit 2 : We've been getting a lot of questions about how C#/MVC/etc have to do with rockets. Curious, I thought he had always said he didn't intend to go public until Mars was colonized, so he could make sure it kept on that goal. I suppose that is a dilemma that folks wanting to join SpaceX as a company need to face, in spite of the fact they are doing cool stuff that you want to be a part of. The work environment was much the same as the author describes at SpaceX, and there was a universally acknowledged fact that the closer you had to work with Craig himself, the more aggravating it would get. To all the students out there, GL with your midterms coming up and stick at it. That way lies cost overruns and inherent reusability problems like metal fatigue. Hydrogen gives you better theoretical performance (iSP, etc.) This side of what it's like to work with Elon shows that no one likes working with Elon. This subreddit is about the video game "Space Engineers", a space themed sandbox game with creation tools similar to minecraft which can be best described as: "Shape and Build your own functional Space craft from self-obtained resources" 102k SpaceX is transforming from a research and engineering company into a manufacturing one - which is critical to our success - and our team is on the forefront of making that happen. I'd love to know when I can start packing my bags for mars ;). The one thing you can't fault Elon upon with this kind of thing though is that when he expects folks to be working Saturdays and 60+ hour work weeks, he does it himself.... with a trail of wrecked marriages to show the damage to his personal life as well. This is ending but most of the group will be back at 2:00pmPST to answer more questions. In 2010, the British magazine New Statesman listed Craig Venter at 14th in the list of "The World's 50 Most Influential Figures 2010". Neither is being an asshole congruent with changing the course of history. SpaceX really is awesome. His job is to say "this isn't good enough". Their mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy. No. Do you guys struggle at all? But the fact that it's such hot shit when it comes to the rocket science stats means it's got this inherent engineering appeal.
Elon talked about it a while back and said that to avoid excess weight it might be possible to have water as shielding, only directly between the crew-module and the sun like a column, instead of an all-encompassing ball. What's been said is just one part of what it's like to work with Elon Musk so I'll discuss the side that you won't often hear. This board is not an official outlet for SpaceX information. You can always tell when someone's left an Elon meeting: they're defeated. Challenges and praise are not on the same scale. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts.

And of course many people would say that this person here is just one employee and that many others may have quite a different experience.

It's much like Steve Jobs's "reality distortion field" except Elon isn't great at public speaking. At the end of the day, it boils down to what is important in your life. But is isn't the pie in the sky, everything's great idea that so many seem to think. I have heard it is pretty easy to burn out at SpaceX.

304l Stainless Steel Hardness Hrc, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco,