how did lux from the cramps, died

)First Ron Asheton, now Lux, both dead at 60 from heart ailments; are these bad omens for 2009? Lux was one of the first people I met when I moved to New York City in 1977 and although I never knew him well I feel as though I learned a lot from just watching and listening to him.

With his wife, guitarist "Poison" Ivy Rorschach, Interior formed the Cramps in 1976, pairing lyrics that expressed their love of B-movie camp with ferocious rockabilly and surf-inspired instrumentation.

They took stage names and became regulars at CBGB and Max’s Kansas City, and they later married. He was 60. Screaming Rock'n'Roll, the kind they don't make anymore, old R&B, hillbilly, gospel, greasy vocal groups, scratchy 45's and 78's. The band split after the death of lead singer Lux Interior. My first punk show. I moved to NYC in 1981, so I missed the Cramps’ days at CBGB, but I did first see them at the old (and great!) Taken aback by the question, he replied: “Rock ’n’ roll has absolutely nothing to do with music. The Cramps were an American punk rock band formed in 1976 and active until 2009. R.I.P. As connoisseurs of seemingly all forms of trashy pop culture from the 1950s and ’60s — ranging from ghoulish comic books to Z-grade horror films to the rawest garage rock — they developed a sound that mixed the menace of rockabilly’s primitivist fringe with dark psychedelia and the blunt simplicity of punk. Cultivating a sense of sleazy kitsch, the band played songs with titles like “Creature From the Black Leather Lagoon,” and its members dressed like a rock ’n’ roll version of the Addams Family. Oh, man… This is sad.I saw them a few times at CB’s and, once, at the Mudd Club (New Year’s 1978/79). I hadn’t even registered seeing them walk down the street – I just spoke as if in a dream – and Ivy said, pleasantly, “Yes?” I stopped and talked to her for a few minutes – Lux loomed behind her, apparently freezing in the Irish winter weather – and I babbled something about having just spent the evening with Russ Meyer. Rock ’n’ roll is who you are. Lux was one of the first people I met when I moved to New York City in 1977 and although I never knew him well I feel as though I … He was 62. Poison Ivy. Back in, 1996 or 7 I think it was, Russ Meyer came to Dublin and as I was seemingly the only person in Ireland familiar with his films I got to interview him, and ended up having dinner with him (a memorably weird and fun evening). Dynamic Duos II: God’s Army – Johnny & Luther Htoo, Friday’s 5 45’s — Guitar Slingers (and big dick swingers…). For over 20 years I have repeated that story to people when ever the topic of age or growing old comes up. I wonder whether they believed me. A week later I was walking to work when the words “Lux and Ivy!” came out of my mouth. I’ll never forget the seemingly foot high stack of hair atop Lux’s head when he ambled on stage. Lux Interior was asked by one of the station personalities about the music. Crap! Lux Interior (Eric Lee Purkiser) died today (Feb. 4th, 2009) at 4:30 AM in a hospital in Glendale, California of a heart ailment. I never saw Lux again–except onstage–after that time, but I’ve always kept a warm memory. The Cramps made eight studio albums and have numerous live and compilation records, and had been working on a new album, Mr. Martinez said.

this is one of the few times a death ,of someone i didn’t actually know ,has really depressed me.although i didn’t keep up with their releases after the early 80’s, i credit the cramps, along with kicks fanzine, and the hound radio show with sending me down the road to perdition.the last of a breed…indeed. In 2002 Lux Interior performed the voice of a character on the children’s television show “SpongeBob SquarePants”; he was the lead singer of an all-bird rock band called the Bird Brains. R.I.P. He was also the first person to tell me about Ray Dennis Steckler, who predeceased Lux by just a few days. i just found the newspaper ad for that show…. Poison Ivy often performed in pin-up or bondage costumes, and others who passed through the band developed tawdry characters of their own. I met Lux during the month or so he worked at the Strand (where I worked for three years). Post was not sent - check your email addresses! But subsequent albums had limited success, and the band’s album “A Date With Elvis,” considered by many critics to be among its best, was released in Britain in 1986 but not in the United States until four years later. Though the band never found wide popularity, it had a fierce cult audience, and its approach to the sound of early rock ’n’ roll has been echoed in acts like the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and the White Stripes. Talk about getting your $3 worth…. You can’t call the Cramps music.

In 1979 the Cramps were guest D.J.’s on WPIX-FM in New York, spinning records by Wanda Jackson, the Electric Prunes, Herbie Duncan and other vintage rockabilly and garage acts. Also, the band hasn't toured since 2006; the current tour dates on their official website have not been updated since then. mine was certainly one of the lives he changed. She survives him. After several singles in the late 1970s that were produced by Alex Chilton of the Box Tops and Big Star, the band released “Songs the Lord Taught Us” in 1980, and it became a club and college-radio standard. Lux Interior of the Cramps has died. They bonded over their pop-culture interests — both scoured flea markets and thrift shops for discarded 1950s records — and by 1975 they had moved to New York.

Lux Interior, the singer, songwriter and founding member of the pioneering New York City horror-punk band the Cramps, died Wednesday. Their line-up rotated frequently during their existence, with the husband-and-wife duo of Interior and lead guitarist and occasional bass guitarist Poison Ivy comprising the only ever-present members. 80,000 records and a jukebox. Often dressed in macabre, gender-bending costumes onstage, Interior evoked a lanky, proto-goth Elvis Presley, and his band quickly became notorious for volatile and decadent live performances. Lux Interior (Eric Lee Purkiser) died today (Feb. 4th, 2009) at 4:30 AM in a hospital in Glendale, California of a heart ailment. Peppermint Lounge off Times Square just a few months after I moved here and they were phenomenal! I saw them five or so more times subsequently and they were always a riveting act. LUX INTERIOR (ERICK LEE PURKHISER) 1946-2009 Seminal punk rock frontman Lux Interior (born Erick Lee Purkhiser in Ohio) died yesterday of a pre-existing heart condition in Glendale, CA at Glendale Memorial Hospital. He was truly the last of a breed. Lux and the Cramps were serious about rockabilly, horror, foot fetishes, sci-fi B-movies and 50s kitsch. Saw The Cramps open for The Ramones at My Fathers Place In L.I. Lux Interior, the singer, songwriter and founding member of the pioneering New York City horror-punk band the Cramps, died Wednesday. I wouldn’t get too bummed out just yet, there’s a good chance he will rise from the dead sometime soon. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. He was pretty abstemious–at least in those days, dunno about later–but in honor of my visit he bought some beer and scored some weed. Lux Interior, gaunt and dark, was fond of skintight rubber, although onstage he usually ended up in just his leopard-skin trunks, or less. Lux Interior, who introduced the excitement of deviant rockabilly to the punk era as the lead singer of the Cramps, died early Wednesday in Glendale, Calif. The first show I saw in NYC the night I got here in ’77 was the Cramps and the Ramones at CBGB.

There is no facet of popular culture that hasn’t been influenced by the Cramps and although they never got their due in terms of record sales, they changed thousands, maybe millions of lives. Interior, whose real name was Erick Lee Purkhiser, died at Glendale Memorial Hospital of a previously-existing heart condition, according to a statement from his publicist. They were a perfect rock and roll band.Great photo. Either way, Ivy proffered her black-lace-gloved hand to be kissed before leaving, and I walked off in a daze. It’s noise, rockin’ noise.”, Lux Interior, 62, Singer in the Punk-Rock Era, Is Dead. The Cramps were founded in New York around 1976 by Lux Interior (born Erick Purkhiser in Stow, Ohio) and the guitarist Poison Ivy (Kristy Wallace) with a distinct musical and visual style. When I was a little shit I read an interview with the Cramps & lux claimed to be over 300 years old.

Chevy Volt Charger 120v, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna,