figure 8 puffer with cichlids
I know people who have tried it and don't know of a case where it worked out. If I were you I would go for the Green Spotted Puffer versus the figure eight. i would see if they can even go together there is less agressive puffers that may be able to and figure 8s are brackish i would order freshwater ones. but Like recommended, I am giving each discus 5 gallons. Thanks for the advice ppl i've bought a bottle of nutrafin cycle to speed the process up and i'm going to have a good think about keeping puffer/s,i'm going to readup about the other types of puffer ideally a true fresh water puffer that i could mix with a couple other types of fish would be best,i really like the character puffers and he would be the main attraction. firstly, if you want a puffer your going to have to keep it on it's own basically. Figure 8's are a better choice for most aquarists than the GSP because their requirements are easier to meet. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. A tank size of 15 gallons for one Figure 8, 55G Soon to be a Bolivian ram/ angel tank. The sentence ending in "and..." is how it appears in the Figure 8 puffer link I provided. Wild populations of Cichlasoma facetum, Geophagus brassiliensis, Pevicachromis pulcher, Oreochromis mossambicus and Tilapia zillii are all found in brackish enviroments and this is just the few i can recall from when i was researching what i could stock my brackish tanks with other than the usual run of the mill brackish fish available in stores. Live snails are recommended to keep their fused teeth from becoming overgrown. Do you plan on upgrading as the Discus get larger?? Figure Eight Puffers should be housed in a heavily filtered 15 to 20 gallon aquarium. This summer I am going to prepare my fish tank (I am actually starting now) for 6 discus. If you really will insist on putting other fish in with them, I suggest you get 3 South American Puffers, 1 bristlenose plec and try to find some freshwater bumblebee gobies (around 5). Watch Queue Queue Hi all, i.ve not had a tank in a few years but after recently moving i have the space again!!!! Like all puffer fish they are sensitive to nitrates, nitrites and ammonia and because they are such sloppy eaters, heavy filtration and frequent water changes are mandatory. Also i read in one place that they should be kept as a small shoal if in a community tank and somewhere else that they should be kept alone, any advice would be appreciated! Enjoy! I usually do a 3-5 hour drip acclimation because I'm paranoid lol. also what other fish is good to go with my discus, Puffers are generally not good community fish. Regarding a Figure 8 puffer poisoning tank water - I've never heard of it personally although it's said that there are certain loosely related species - like marine cowfish - that are capable of that. by butter_fly382 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:40 pm, by butter_fly382 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:43 pm, by butter_fly382 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:09 pm, Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests. The Figure Eight Puffer is a colorful little fish that is dark brown to green on the back with a white belly. Fish of the Month, Pet of the Month. Temperament: Aggressive Member. By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of data and cookies. i knew what he ment, so i didn't buy it. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Can I out 2 orianda goldfish in a 20 long? This video is unavailable. i think it's better to have them alone in a tank... they are extreme aggressive. JavaScript is disabled. my concern would be that while those species are found in brackish waters, they may not be perfectly adapted to them and might suffer if restricted to a long-term brackish environment. Spawning occurs in brackish water where the eggs are laid on the bottom substrate or on flat rocks. Care Level: Moderate The figure 8 is also a brackish species which requires a certain degree of salt in the water which you can't add with the other mentioned fish. Anytime . Puff Daddy Reef 4,753 views. Fish of the Month, Pet of the Month and more! These puffers will only grow to about half the size of a GSP, thus they need only half the space. JavaScript is disabled. The figure 8 puffer originates in the brackish (partial salinity) streams and estuaries of Southeast Asia, including Borneo, the Malaysian peninsula, Sumatra, and Thailand. You can put FRESHWATER puffers in fresh water. Enter Now! These guys are pretty relaxing to watch. at least an hour and as Rogue said, more is better in this situation. Well, yesterday i went to my lfs, about to buy this puffer and the guy said, "Since he's a baby, he'll be fine for now, but when he gets older, then you'll have some problems with the other fish." I love both of these fish and I … Thread starter Marine Man; Start date Apr 23, 2012; Apr 23, 2012. You will actually have to get a bigger tank in the near future. Discus and Figure 8 Puffer. Although not as common as its counterpart Tetraodon ocellatus, when available for purchase they are generally about 3/4″ to 1 1/2″ in size. A few black spots are outlined in yellow on the tail, body and nose, and the marking on either side of their caudal fins resemble the number 8, or an “eye spot”, which probably contributes to their name. I have a variety of cichlids and puffers. After I recive my discus I am going to have them float for 10 minutes (give or take). Figure Eight Puffers are a long lived, active species that need plenty of room for swimming when they are not hiding. erm... there's really not much you can mix with a puffer besides bottom dwellers, feeders and (maybe) more of his own kind. It is virtually impossible to sex Figure Eight Puffers, but females are thought to grow larger than the males. Puffers are aggressive, but so are cichlids. Although the Figure Eight Puffer is considered a true freshwater species, it tends to live longer with the addition of marine salt to their aquariums. Contests including the Tank of the Month, Here's a good video except I disagree on how long you should float the bag (30-40 min is best) and the part about it being okay to add the water the fish was shipped in to the tank -. Vi og partnerne våre lagrer og/eller får tilgang til informasjon på enheten din gjennom bruk av informasjonskapsler og lignende teknologier for å vise annonser og innhold som er persontilpasset, for måling av annonser og innhold, for å få publikumsinnsikt og for produktutvikling. still dont think i'd mix them with figure 8's though... think in your situation i'd go with some of the gobies suggested by pufferpunk. Tropical Fish Keeping participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties (.com, .co.uk, .ca etc.) Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. I have decided that I am either going to get a couple figure 8 puffers or a couple convict cichlids. Fish Lore's aquarium forum - aquarium hobbyists helping hobbyists since 2005! Absolutely not. If your aquarium info is correct, and you already have the discus, then you have no room for more fish. don't put any cichlids in there. Watch Queue Queue. We use cookies to improve your experience on this website and so that ads you see online can be tailored to your online browsing interests. Aquarist Experience Level: Intermediate. We are a family friendly community with an incredible resource of information for fish owners and enthusiast alike. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc. informasjon om enheten din og Internett-tilkoblingen, blant annet IP-adressen, surfe- og søkeaktivitet ved bruk av Verizon Medias nettsteder og apper. No, you do not replace the fishwater to the tank. Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons but don't cut the time short. For general fish and aquarium topics. Yahoo er en del av Verizon Media. 15 gallons is sufficient for one puffer, with 10 gallons more for each additional puffer. Introduce to a fully cycled aquarium, and maintain and a low-to-medium salinity. Posted on 22 March 2015. It has greenish yellow patterns and spots on their backside that vary from specimen to specimen. These puffers are best kept in a densely planted tank with lots of twisted driftwood roots for cover, and a sandy substrate. Tropical Fish Keeping participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties (.com, .co.uk, .ca etc.) so, can i have some info on figure 8 puffers? I use. It has greenish yellow patterns and spots on their backside that vary from specimen to specimen. Still have questions? They will readily feed on mussels, oysters, cockles, krill, shrimp, earthworms and snails. I've even heard of a. I'm a little confused about your current stock. Lifespan: Up to 15 years Color Form: Green, Tan, White, Yellow yes I would say that just about covers it. firemouths as i no can reach over 35cm wheres as the figure of eight puffer reaches sizes between 8-15cm. while i encountered some of those when i was contemplating my own brackish setup, the information i could find was rather conflicting. this is because they do have a temperament to be aggressive but also because they are a specialized fish and may not do that well in a tank with cichlids especially firemouths. Some puffers can be trained to take other foods, such as flake food or pellets, but it should not be their primary diet. and any other website that may be affiliated with the Amazon Service LLC Associates Program. I am getting a 4ft tank and would like to have a figure eight puffer but have read so many conflicting views on what fish you can keep with them, if any. Size: 3.5″ i think it shud b one puffer on his own or no puffer at all. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Your Privacy Controls. After the eggs are fertilized, the male will guard them for approximately a week until the fry become free swimming. i suppose what i mostly wanted to point out (and what has since been illustrated) is that not just any cichlid or fish can be kept in a brackish aquarium. Convict Cichlid vs Figure 8 puffer? Max. If you like F8s you could keep a nice BW tank w/3-4 F8s & a variety of gobies (knights, bumblebees, dragons).

Danielle Taylor Ike Taylor, Zelda 2 Hammer, Gk5 Turbo Kit, Teaching Textbooks App, Eric Pierpoint Commercial, Waymo Stock Price Per Share,