danang air base 1971
Again, all the SP's are unknown. [10] On 13 May a mortar attack on the base caused major damage to an OH-6. On the night of 28 March General Trưởng received intelligence that an all-out PAVN assault against the city would commence the next morning and he decided to abandon Da Nang and ordered his forces to move to beaches for evacuation by sea. For years Da Nang has been nicknamed Rocket City. Colonel Hoover removed a major and four veteran sergeants who could not seem to get along with their men and he transferred 13 malcontents. Since then, the division has been hard at work retraining and refitting. United States Army helicopters scout close to the ground around Da Nang at night. Morale at Da Nang was poor last fall after the Phantoms left. [14] ARVN Lieutenant General Ngô Quang Trưởng organised his remaining forces, which numbered approximately 75,000 troops, into inner and outer defensive lines around the city, meanwhile the PAVN prepared to attack the city from four directions before its defenses could be properly established. Nevertheless, the Da Nang air base and the civilian areas hugging its outskirts are frequently hit by Soviet‐built 122‐mm. Marble Mountain Air Facility (MMAF), also known as Da Nang East Airfield, Marble Mountain Army Airfield and Nuoc Man Airfield, was an aviation facility used primarily by the United States Marine Corps during the Vietnam War. About 40,000 Americans used to be stationed at Da Nang and Bob Hope played to a crowd of 10,000 year ago. [2]:187, On 31 January 1968, on the first day of the Tet Offensive, MMAF received twenty-nine incoming enemy 122 mm rockets resulting in one minor injury and minor damage to one CH-53A Sea Stallion and substantial damage to another four CH-53As. Photo #1 (Đà Nàng AB): The sag in morale was understandable. For the antineoplastic agent, see, Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries (Indonesia), "Enemy Attacks on US Installations After Action Report (Final)", "Enemy Attacks on US Installations After Action Report", "Enemy Attacks on US Installations after action Report (Final)", Command Chronology, Marine Air Base Squadron 16, 5 May 1969, Seaboard World DC-8 lands at Marble Mountain, "Headquarters MACV Monthly Summary March 1970", Military Secretary to the Commandant of the Marine Corps, Seapower and Projection Forces subcommittee, United States Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Marble_Mountain_Air_Facility&oldid=983244832, Military installations of the United States Marine Corps in South Vietnam, Buildings and structures in Quảng Nam Province, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 13 October 2020, at 03:26. At first blush that is hardly reassuring since Third Division troops fled from Quang Tri Province at the opening of the Communist offensive last spring and the commander was removed, as were a number of subordinate officers. Communist rockets hitting the base made them wonder even more. Photo #2A & 2B (Đà Nàng AB): The teeming city of Da Nang is still off limits to American servicemen. [9] On 15 April a mortar attack on the base caused major damage to five UH-1Hs and one OH-58. “Grass has a really heavy odor that can be identified easily, but you can smoke skag at work and nobody would know it,” he said, referring to heroin. Infantrymen patrolled the mountains and jungles around the base and the city adjoining it in an effort to keep the Vietcong at bay. A few days ago the refurbished Third recaptured a base 25 miles south of Da Nang that the North Vietnamese had held all summer. Beginning in May 1972, the forces of the USAF were drawn down at Da Nang. All of them are unknown. [4][5]:144, Beginning in 1969 the United States began to reduce its forces in Vietnam and by mid-October all remaining Marine helicopter squadrons were consolidated at MMAF. Sgt Krouse is following me. My father was deployed here and at Nha Trang in 1968-1969. cannon that have a range of 17 miles and which laid waste to Quang Tri City in May and threatened Hue all summer have never been sighted within range of Da Nang. This is one of our huts directly accrosed from the Armory. Photo #3 (Đà Nàng AB): The base sports program was overhauled. “But we really had to work at it,” Colonel Hoover said. American military construction units were overtasked at the time so the construction of the field was done by RMK-BRJ under the direction of the U.S. Navy Officer in Charge of Construction RVN. A summary of these attacks can be found on the Web site of the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing. In six months it has received more than a dozen planes that had no other place to land. Thanks to the Third's patrols, the Soviet‐built 130‐mm. 366th Security Police Squadron [2]:92–3, On the evening of 27–28 October 1965, approximately 90 Viet Cong attacked MMAF. When a correspondent appeared the morning after, an Air Force sergeant looked at his wristwatch and said, “Only 20 minutes till the next U.S. air strike.”. Not a single American is patrolling outside the fence, a job that has been turned over to the South Vietnamese Third Infantry Division. The Communists carried out 26 rocket attacks on the Da Nang air base during 1972. DaNang Air Base was known as "rocket city" for the number of attacks that occurred there between 1965 and 1973. Now even that function has been eliminated, but Da Nang remains a haven for any crippled American aircraft from Thailand or from the fleet. Some airmen began writing their Congressmen. As you can see we had it pretty rough. It suffered substantial casualties doing so. Photo #5 (Đà Nàng AB): Me on an APC. Safety and morale are the major problems on a shrinking base, and no more so than here, 100 miles south of the demilitarized zone. 143 likes. I assume it was a hit on one of the POL areas judging from the heavy black smoke. Now there are about 4,000. Colonel Hoover has said frankly that “during September and October, 1972, Da Nang airfield went through period of high tension and mistrust between races, and between first‐termers and supervisors.”. It was a helicopter facility that was constructed in August 1965 and served as home to Marine Aircraft Group 16 (MAG-16), the 5th Special Forces Group and an assortment of other squadrons until May 1971. DA NANG A.B. The base remained largely intact until the early 2000s when commercial developments began to encroach upon it. Such patrols are credited with breaking up at least half a dozen rocket attacks. The VC mounted another rocket and mortar attack on Da Nang air base on the 2nd. This is My, our hut maid. Open to all Vietnam Veterans that served at DA NANG Air Base of ROCKET CITY from 1971-1972. Sgt Timothy Krouse (see photo #9) from PA worked with me most or all of the time. Coming back from chow. Photo #8 (Đà Nàng AB): The number of Vietnamese casualties, from rockets that fell short or went wide, was larger. They did not always succeed. The increase in rocket activity is part of the general tempo of the war.”. Oct 13, 2016 - Aireal view of Da Nang Air Base, S. Vietnam. The attack left two Marines and one Navy Corpsman killed in action with another 91 wounded. A shot of me in our hut. After Da Nang's three squadrons of United States Air Force F‐4 Phantom jets transferred to safer havens in Thailand last June, many servicemen wondered why they had to stay. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. Me on my bunk. [1] By the end of August 1965, they had completed a 2,000-foot (610 m) runway and on 26 August, MAG 16 officially moved in. Even after the Phantoms left it served for five months as a “forward operating location,” rearming and refueling Phantoms from Thailand so they could make two raids a day on North Vietnam instead of one. Air Force gunships operate higher up. When rocket demolished the base exchange, it was rebuilt and reopened in four days, with merchandise that had not been stocked before. Photo was given to me. They were able to reach the MAG 16 ramp destroying 19 aircraft and damaging another 35. [14]:327–8 The PAVN entered the outskirts of Da Nang by mid-morning on 29 March and by the afternoon were in control of the city.[14]:328. Now morale is noticeably higher and the drug problem appears to be under control. Đà Nàng CSC in 1971. The outdoor basketball court was roofed crier for use in all weather. [3], MMAF saw the arrival of the first CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters in Vietnam when HMM-164 arrived on 8 March 1966 with twenty-seven aircraft from the USS Valley Forge. It was controlled by the United States Army from May 1971 to August 1972 and finally by the Republic of Vietnam Air Force (RVNAF) from 29 August 1972 to 29 March 1975 when it fell to the People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN). Fights broke out — never very large, but usually along racial lines. guns. He told his commanders to get back to their men, find out what the problems were and come up with solutions within a week. The Communists carried out 26 rocket attacks on the Da Nang air base during 1972. 1971 Underlying this was a serious drug problem. This is a shot of a young girl talking to one of the bunker guards. To preserve these articles as they originally appeared, The Times does not alter, edit or update them. By November 1971, the 366th was the only United States tactical fighter wing still stationed in Vietnam. © 2009. The SP wearing the hat and smoking a pipe worked in Training, I think. Glen H. Myers This is me processing out for emergency leave after getting word that my mother had died. It was very heavily fortified and had a great air conditioning system which was a welcome luxury.

Keter 4x3 Shed, Sims 4 Npc List, Zelda 2 Hammer, Gk5 Turbo Kit, Teaching Textbooks App, Eric Pierpoint Commercial, Waymo Stock Price Per Share,