carolyn hewson daughter
. In 2014 she was named as one of four possible candidates to become South Australia's next Governor,[19] but the position was eventually given to Hieu Van Le. "I found that quite incredible, actually," Hewson says. [23], "Carolyn Judith HEWSON - Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)", "Hewson pays price: hard work means hard lessons - National", "Power List - The 50 South Australians who have a mighty influence", "BHP director Carolyn Hewson speaks up on Samarco tragedy", "Carolyn Hewson Set To Share Insights With SA Business Leaders", "Westpac Director Carolyn Hewson to Retire from the Board", "BHP director urges women on government boards", "Hewson pays price: hard work means hard lessons", "CEDA - Women and Leadership Series: Carolyn Hewson AO", "BHP Billiton's Carolyn Hewson sells up in Vaucluse: Title Tattle", "High-flying women in the mix to be SA's next Governor", "SA Governor Hieu Van Le 'a beacon of hope, "Marshall's infrastructure advisers revealed", "Bring in a nanny army to move women into boardrooms, says Hewson", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Carolyn_Hewson&oldid=922369001, All Wikipedia articles written in Australian English, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 21 October 2019, at 18:17. "I got a bit enamoured with bigger houses and things like that," he says. Carolyn Hewson has had a long and successful career in investment banking, also sitting on several boards. Of the recent rumours about her husband, she says: "I guess I've come through the hard school of politics. "I told them, 'What you said was wrong,' " Carolyn says. " "I was not a politician. A senior Liberal who declined to be named said: "Obviously his hatred of Tony [Abbott] and John [Howard] deeply colours his views, which are completely out of synch with reality. [20], In January 2019, Hewson was announced as one of the members of the board of Infrastructure SA, an organisation tasked by the Government of South Australia under Steven Marshall to develop a 20-year infrastructure strategy and five-year plans. The Hewsons lived in Sydney, but Carolyn flew to Adelaide once a month for board meetings, and took her pre-school daughter with her. He picked up on my theme in Asia, that sort of thing . "At the time we were living in Double Bay and Keating was living in Elizabeth Bay. "[They said] I've been treated for a nervous breakdown. The couple have a daughter born around 1995 but their marriage ended in 2004. "Keating had it right," he said. While their life might have looked perfect, the couple spent eight years trying to conceive a child. ", And, of course, there was Paul Keating. "We had virtually no time to ourselves. "Without the public pressure we might have made it. ", How will he be remembered? After separating from his first wife, Margaret, in 1985, he married Carolyn Somerville in 1988, a formidable figure in investment banking whom Hewson's biographer Christine Wallace describes as an "upper middle-class blonde" who "looked like John, spoke John's language and, best of all, could work a room almost better than him". "It was traumatic," Hewson says. It's unfortunately becoming a defining feature of our generation - stress and its consequences. "They [the media] were camping outside my house for a while," he says, looking every one of his 57 years. [3], She is a Director of BHP[4] YWCA,[5] the NeuroSurgical Research Foundation, and the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. "Canberra is full of people who are shooting rockets and end up falling to the ground as dead sticks. After politics we were both working very hard to establish new careers.". 'I hope in the future you will encourage your journalists to check their stories more carefully.' It was the first day back in Parliament after the 1993 election. "I was just absolutely exhausted," he says in his Sydney city office. He was proud to say he wasn't a politician. [15], Hewson was made an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) in the 2009 Queen's Birthday Honours "for service to the community through support for charitable organisations, particularly YWCA, and to business,"[16] has been recognized as "one of Australia’s most influential company directors,"[17] and ranked as "Australia’s most influential female board directors"[18] by The Australian Financial Review. "We had the additional public pressure of being well known," she said. ". But he will say that, while there was no nervous breakdown and no alcohol problem, he was exhausted. I should have fobbed it off. It wasn't just the hard work, it was the hard work in the fish bowl. ", This time, though, she hit back. He doesn't know what they'll do with the house now. Hewson takes me to the huge house in Rose Bay that the couple have been renovating for three years. "He lost the unlosable election. I ran into Mike Willesee at a school function and he said,'You must hate me.' I have read so much stuff that's wrong, so I had to steel myself yet again, hold my head up and go out there again. The 100-hour weeks he says he was putting in - he oversaw a major report released last year on corporate governance; he develops properties and businesses; he's on the speaking circuit - mean Hewson was choosing to play the corporate superhero, at great cost to life outside the office. Hewson says he is an independent commentator ("I'm not tied to any particular line"); the Liberals say he's bitter and twisted (Hewson has accused John Howard of putting Tony Abbott in Hewson's office as a "spy").

Vanilla Extract Whole30, Keep America Great 2020 Coin, Wide Ruled Paper Vs College Ruled Paper, How To Copy Fortnite To Another Pc 2020, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Liberty Storage Solutions Arden Nc, Writing A Literary Analysis Through The Lens Of A Quotation Essay, Sam Bowen Footballer, Is Gatorade Zero Bad For Your Teeth, Nicknames For Piper, 2021 Silverado Trail Boss, Chief Stix Review, Knight Bare 209 Primer Conversion Kit,