bc supplemental essay example

Show how the piece changed, broadened, or challenged previously held beliefs. Expressing vulnerability makes the essay more relatable, allowing the reader to connect with you on a more personal level. We’d recommend dedicating about the first 200 words of the essay to your interest in engineering, especially how it connects to your “humanistic” values, then segueing into the “Why BC,” spending the other 200 words on how its programs, courses, clubs, activities, and other aspects of campus life will help you “address societal challenges and opportunities.”. It also can’t hurt to explore why your particular background or experience will be useful in an academic setting. In a society propelled by media and entertainment, the study of music’s influence on our lives not only can allow us to better produce captivating works, but understand our emotional responses and discover the profundity of human expression.

Just imagine melding the two together with a relevant transition—or a soldering iron.

It might be something you go back to on a regular basis (for example, that song you just can’t go to sleep without listening to), or it might be something you read/heard/watched once that had a lasting effect on you (that mind-bending Doctor Who episode that changed your life three years ago). If you can identify not just one but a few things you can talk about to show you’ve already contributed to the “common good,” this could be an excellent prompt for this BC essay. Speak to your experiences or background, and connect them to your values. In history class, the dialogue surrounding the Civil Rights Movement often presents African Americans as a unified group fighting to resist racist policies. All applicants, except those applying for the Human-Centered Engineering (HCE) major, should respond to one of prompts #1-4 listed below. I am learning to experience the differences in people and make choices about what qualities I want to adopt and what I want to leave behind. Or history and literature to dive deeper into modern gender politics. The Evolution of Music in Film and its Psychological Impact on Audiences - Stuart Fischoff, Ph.D. Why We Love Saturday Morning Cartoons: Two Mechanisms of Fictional Immersion, The Birth of Tragedy, Section 7, 24, 25 - F. Nietzsche, Tom and Jerry, Episode 33 - William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, How Movies Possess Our Bodies: A Physiological Analysis, Quantitative and Visual Analysis of the Impact of Music on Perceived Emotion of Film - Rob Parke, Elaine Chew, Chris Kyriakakis, The Invisible Art of Film Music, Section 7 - Lawrence E. MacDonald, Why Fiction Feels So Real: Analyzing Silence, Silence and Slow Time: Studies in Musical Narrative - Martin Boykan, Life Is a Dream - Pedro Calderón de la Barca. So in algebraic terms, that’s: (You + Engineering) + BC = #winning. Yes, it’s important to write about the courses, programs, and majors/minors you’re interested in—after all, this is a college education we’re talking about.

The Requirements: 1 essay of 400 words Supplemental Essay Type(s): Oddball, Community, Why. Brainstorm some creative course titles and pick the one you would want to take if you saw it in the BC catalog. They want you to have a well-rounded experience, and showing you’re interested in opportunities outside the classroom will show them your depth and range.

Maybe religion is a part of it: You have already benefited from a Jesuit high school education and you want to continue; or maybe you come from another tradition and want to connect more directly with a framework that connects faith and intellect. Are you aware of what’s going on around you, and do you have the drive to effect change? How fun is that? But the student then quickly dives into the insight she gained, how “overcoming the barriers perpetuated by racism in some cases involved taking a break from one’s traumatized community.” Even more instrumental was showing how she related to Baldwin’s experience, through her political disagreements with her own father. Did it challenge preconceived ideas or beliefs? It nourishes the mind and spirit. The first is the “Why Major.” Here’s a guide to writing that portion. Did Truman Capote’s In Cold Blood completely change the way you look at crime and punishment? Be clear, honest, and concise, so that you make the best use of these 400 words to showcase your character and personality! As we investigate and unravel the techniques of modern artists through a diverse slate of plays, cartoons, and films, we will discover the vital role of music in enhancing benchmark works of visual fiction. This student leaves the why for the end: “In a society propelled by media and entertainment, the study of music’s influence on our lives not only can allow us to better produce captivating works, but understand our emotional responses and discover the profundity of human expression.” It works. I am also interested in the Communication Honors Program in which I can have the opportunity to conduct research and work with my peers and professors to produce an honors thesis, perhaps investigating how websites like Netflix and Hulu have transformed how consumers engage with media. You can show vulnerability in multiple ways—with self-deprecating humor, by revealing embarrassing details, by sharing secrets or deeply personal information. This could be the perfect prompt for those of you who already have a few concepts in mind (a runner up personal statement topic, perhaps). Nicole learned how to tell other people’s stories after a 30+-year career as a newspaper reporter, covering both the mundane and the unforgettable, from serial killer Duane Owen’s retrial, to the Bush/Gore nail-biter, to the homeless family of four who found refuge in a storage unit. Is there an important side of you, a critical experience, subject, or activity, that isn’t coming through as strongly as it should?
Do that. This question closely resembles prompt 1 on the. And make sure to spell them right. You’ll choose one out of four Boston College essay prompts to answer. I know I will be surrounded with like-minded people who push me to be the best version of myself, while also growing in independence being so far from home. This Jesuit-affiliated college is one of few schools that don’t require any supplemental essays, which puts more emphasis on your personal statement. I used to doubt my own perspective when my father and I discussed politics, but Baldwin’s essay taught me to hold my own ground while also respecting my father’s opinion. While my grandma Monserat never learned how to swim, I am a lifeguard. But BC officials know college is about more than book work. The key to this essay is to show how the work of art you chose to write about contributed to your growth—how it gave you “insight or inspiration.” So, think about doing that in two parts: first by describing the belief or perspective you started with (the status quo), then by explaining how your viewpoint evolved. For the Boston College supplemental essay, you have a great opportunity to demonstrate how BC’s key values—personal growth/development and service to others—reflect your own ideals, and how they’ve shown up in Think about how these experiences have led to passions, interests, or skills of yours that you might share with others at BC. Her ideal day is spent playing Cribbage with her dad, beating her husband at RummiKub and planning the next girls trip with her teenage daughters. Think of this prompt in two parts. What is this, the Spanish Inquisition? My dad's parents are first generation immigrants.

At the end of the day, your goal is to cram your essay with as many specific details as possible. Early in this book, Baldwin retells a childhood experience where his father discouraged him from staying in school because he thought a higher level of education didn’t help African Americans enter the professional sphere. For this student, it was the anecdote about helping campers “take on challenges like rock climbing or the ropes course, especially those wary of new experiences,” and also embracing differences. Read through your Common App Activities List with that question in mind. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill doesn’t use admissions interviews, so these short answer ... How to Write the Boston College Supplement Essays, How to Write Strong UPenn Essays 2020-21: Why UPenn and Community, How to Write Admission-Worthy UT Austin Essays. What is this, the Spanish Inquisition? Or b) you could do what this student did and weave your connections into the same sentence or back-to-back sentences. Not because they’re not wonderful reads (they’re well-known for a reason), but because other students are likely to write about them, which will make it more difficult for you to stand out. Values! Boston College will give me countless opportunities to thrive and grow not just as a student, but also as a mentor, storyteller, athlete, and Eagle. Bring the course to life with color and details. Don’t write about, unless you genuinely picked it up of your own accord, read it from start to finish, and loved every second of it. Here’s a great example for this specific prompt: Throughout high school, I have had the opportunity to take a variety of courses that have allowed me to discover a passion for storytelling. CollegeVine College Essay Team August 10, 2020 9 min read Essay Guides 2020-21 How to Write the Boston University Supplemental Essays 2020-2021 Found stretched across the scenic Charles River, Boston University (BU) is a private research university found slightly west of Boston’s city center. This question closely resembles prompt 1 on the Common Application, which means it’s as close as you’ll get to a “topic of your choice” option on the BC supplement. This prompt actively seeks to learn more about “your background, your experiences, or your story,” not just for the sake of telling it, but for what it says about what matters to you—e.g., your values. Course Description: Music dominates our society–pop songs and singers are hugely influential in today’s time. The Boston College is looking for more than just what your goals are but also how BC itself will help you achieve them.

Anthony Kiedis Helena Vestergaard, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects, Who Is Sara Sidner Married To, Noticiero Univision Cast, Tropico 6 Ranch Fertility, Zoe Laverne Number, How Do You Wish Someone Happy Birthday In Heaven, Dri Avast Software, Is The American Dream Still Possible By David Wallechinsky Essays, Is Belcamp Md Safe, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Nicole Panattoni Net Worth, Joseph Joseph Chopping Board Set Costco, Rafael Angel Uribe Serna, Reshma Shetty Matrix, Chet Holmgren Crystal Ball, Freaky Girl Quotes, Chris Thorsteinson Wife, Hawaiian God Kane, Jonathan Clay Moore Death, Debbi Peterson Net Worth, Euthymol Toothpaste Side Effects,